IT Tech and Digital Creative
Through BT’s activities at Adastral Park – and the work of both multinational firms and key start-ups – East Suffolk has a world class knowledge base in relation to IT, tech and digital creative. The Adastral Park 2025 Vision will be significant for the site. This will support the growth of the Tommy Flowers Institute for post-graduate ICT industrial research. It should also consolidate the role of Adastral Park as a major converged networks research facility. The significance of Adastral Park/Innovation Martlesham was recognised clearly in the 2017 TechNation Report.
These sectors are bringing high quality jobs to East Suffolk and they explain, to a significant extent, the strong performance of Suffolk Coastal on the main economic indicators. The aim now must be to widen and deepen the cluster, equipping it to grow on Adastral Park – but also beyond it.
East Suffolk Council will support these sectors by:
- Continuing to support and encourage the work of Innovation Martlesham, and the development of Adastral Park more generally.
- Promoting the strength of the area’s assets in these sectors – alongside the outstanding quality of life that East Suffolk can provide.
- Ensuring that there is provision of small business accommodation appropriate to the needs of new and small IT, tech and digital creative businesses (recognising that some will be “informal” space).
- The creative sector is also well represented in East Suffolk at Bentwaters parks which is home to a growing film and production hub. There are plans for a new film studio here and this sector is also supported by the Screen Suffolk initiative.
- Working with local communities to identify appropriate spaces in town centres for small digital businesses, possibly through the re-use of surplus retail space.
- Continuing to encourage links with the University of Suffolk, University of Essex (across the Haven Gateway) and the University of East Anglia in Norwich to develop appropriate links into higher education.
- Encouraging businesses in other sectors to benefit fully from the potential of digital enabling technologies.
- Advancing particularly – and alongside New Anglia LEP – the potential of a link between the telecoms specialisms at Adastral Park and applications in high tech agricultural firms.
Creative industries are thriving in East Suffolk, with film production at an all-time high. Screen Suffolk, the official film office for Suffolk, handles all filming enquiries and ensures everything is in place for production to happen, including infrastructure, crew and permits. You can catch up with the latest news in their newsletter.
If you are interested in filming in East Suffolk, or if you want to find out more about the filming that has taken place in East Suffolk, visit the Screen Suffolk website.